Monday, August 14, 2006

Frank Lenz Interview



I recently grilled Hidden Agenda recording artist Frank Lenz. I want to thank Frank for agreeing to do this interview. He's a stand-up guy for answering all these questions.


PLUGGED: You worked on numerous Velvet Blue Music releases as well as playing in both starflyer 59 and Headphones (with David Bazan). Why did you stop?

Frank Lenz: I left my wife in 2005 and had a nervous break down. I lied to Jason and Dave about why I couldn't be on tour and understandably so I no longer play with them. As far as VBM goes I can only guess so I won't. There are a lot of people I hurt during that time so my answers might be abrupt.


PLUGGED: Where can people purchase Conquest Slaughter?

FL: I think Hidden Agenda has a few copies.


PLUGGED: Your latest record VileLenz and Thieves contains some pretty dark themes and the lyrics are very intriguing. In what way was this a very personal album for you?

FL: I've done some shitty things in my life but none worse than what I did to my ex-wife. That record was written during that time so the result is as it is.


PLUGGED: On VileLenz and Thieves, there's a song that has the line "Conquest Slaughter, moron fodder" Could you explain what this particular line means to you?

FL: I think that record's a pile of shit. When I made it I was excited... it seemed like a logical next step but turned out (to me) to sound confusing, derivitive and phony. I wanted to be heard more than I had to say, I wasn't ready. That being said, as of late, I've come to think track 1 and track 4 are alright.


PLUGGED: Which Frank Lenz album are you most proud of and why?

FL: None .


PLUGGED: In your opinion, what's the best song you have ever written?

FL: I think I'm writing better things now but that remains to be discovered. I'm excited at the moment about the new tunes I'm writing. I'm trying to make steps to bridge the gap between self expression and musicality.


PLUGGED: Can you describe what the next Frank Lenz record will be like and who will play on it?

FL: I want to work with Blake Westcott. I hope it will work out because he is very good. I pretty much play everything on everything and that's getting old, plus it doesn't sound so good so here's to change.


PLUGGED: I just listened to Last Temptation of Frank Lenz today and I think it has some of my most favorite songs that you have written. Now that you are working with Hidden Agenda Records (Parasol), would you like to see it given a proper release?

FL: Thank you. Although I like a few songs on that record I would rather it not be released. It's not bad, it's just not me.


PLUGGED: Are you still producing? If yes, what are you working on?

FL: I helped a guy out named Jared Colinger...super cool guy and [ I ] worked with a song writer named amy cooper, you should check her out. She is also a great woman and a good friend. I should also mention a band called blvd. I produced their record and didn't come close to doing them justice. Good fucking rock band.


PLUGGED: You and Richard Swift used to do a lot of work together. Do you hope to work with him on anything again?

FL: No.


PLUGGED: Do you have plans to go on tour and play your solo material?

FL: I'd love to. No one asks and I don't have any idea how to book myself so if anyone wants an opening asshole I'm available.


PLUGGED:Tell us something that you want everyone to know about Frank Lenz.

FL: I may be full of shit but at least now I'll let you know up front.


PLUGGED: Thank you, Frank.
null

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home