Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Starflyer 59 @ The Buffalo Icon

OK, here's how it works. Fans will yell out song requests at a Starflyer 59 show. They will usually yearn to hear oldies like "Blue Collar Love", "Sled", or "She's The Queen." Starflyer 59 frontman Jason Martin will politely dismiss the request by saying any of following comments...


"It's comin' right up, man"


"You got it, dude", or


"I don't even know that song."


The requested song never gets played, and everyone laughs about it later.





Keeping with tradition, I requested "Hazel Would" (from the first sf59 album "Silver") and Jason said "It's comin!", so I thought it surely wasn't going to be played. Jason threw us all a curve ball and actually played "Hazel Would" last, and it was AWESOME. Hearing sf59 play a song off the classic album "Silver" was everything I always dreamed it would be. Until now, all I could do was dream. Enough of that. Here's the whole set list from the evening....




A Good Living


A-Lists Go On


No New Kinda Story


new song (I don't know the title)


Easy Street


First Heart Attack


Unbelievers


Hazel Would






Other than "Hazel Would", the highlight for me was hearing "First Heart Attack" because I've never heard the band perform it live. I was glad to hear "A Good Living", because it was my favorite track on "Talking Voice Vs. Singing Voice", so I thought it was a great way to open the set.


OK, now I must point out the negatives. As always, the sf59 set was too short. The performance clocked in at 8 songs running about 35 minutes. I guess that's par for the course since it was 98 degrees in there with sf59 as the opening act (out of 4 bands) and most people seemed to be there for The Format. I was also a little disappointed that sf59 didn't play "Good Sons", or their great new single "I Win". Not a big deal, as the good far outweighs the negative.


As a sidenote, notice the rag wrapped around Jason's mic. It's not a rag actually, but a t-shirt Jason put there during the soundcheck to prevent the infamous "Ps" from popping (I am just guessing). It came in handy later when he used it to wipe the sweat from his brow. I would have snatched it as a souvenir but I already have enough nasty smelling shirts of my own.





It's always a reason to get excited when Starflyer 59 comes to your hometown and thoroughly rocks the stage. This band is so damn good and yet so damn underrated that it makes you think people in the music world have their ears in the sand. Surely Jason Martin could sign onto big indie labels like Matador or Jade Tree and have his songs featured on all the MTV reality shows. But Jason Martin is all about loyalty, quality, and longevity. He would rather have the freedom to put out music his way rather than be huge. I believe that is why after 13 years and 20 releases, the tank is still rolling....



Band lineup: Jason Martin (guitar/vocals), Josh Dooley (guitar), Trey Many (drums).


all pictures taken by Melanie M.

null

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home